We’re sorry to say that we’re unlikely to be enrolling new members for the autumn 2021 term owing to restrictions on space (in order to be as Covid-secure as possible). We will review the situation as the term progresses. But if you’re looking for a choir to sing with, you’re welcome to join our waiting list – contact email@example.com
Under normal circumstances, here is what you need to know:
- You need enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. Previous experience is not essential though you’ll need some ability to follow a score even if you’re not a fluent sight reader. There is plenty of help to master the score. You can buy rehearsal CDs (or get them freely from the internet) for many of the works we sing.
- There are no auditions – if you think you can sing, you probably can!
- There are no age limits – we have members from their 20s to their 70s.
- Much as we love singing, we like socialising too – though this is not compulsory!
- We offer a warm welcome to new members and great fun. The choir’s friendliness has been commented on in all the surveys of our members .
We rehearse every Tuesday evening in term-time from 7.30 pm to 9.15 pm at the fantastic new music block at Headington School, Headington Road, Oxford OX3 7TD.
You can click here to see a bird’s eye view of the school: the new music block is next to the tennis courts.
Enter through the gates on Headley Way. Then, if you’re on foot, go straight ahead and go behind the main buildings – the music block is the last building you come to. Turn left just before the building to get to the entrance.
If you’re coming by car, turn left from the Headley Way gates and drive round the front of the school, heading towards the tennis courts where there is plenty of parking.
The subscription is £40 per term (£35 if you are not wage-earning for whatever reason and £15 for registered students). The fee includes the hire of scores – you don’t need to provide your own.
Please speak to our Treasurer if the subscription is an issue for you – we don’t want anyone to be deterred by the cost.
What our members say
These are some of the responses members gave in 2019 when asked what they thought about the choir.
- It is something quite different from the rest of my life and I enjoy the company of the other singers.
- Really well run by an excellent committee.
- Good humoured and charismatic conductor.
- The most friendly choir of my life!
- A welcoming atmosphere with tolerance of my poor sight reading, I am so grateful for the opportunity to ‘break my silence’ after being told I was a ‘grunter’ at school.
- I enjoy the thrill of playing a small part in great music.